Skip to content

Time’s flying at Koramba:

  • by

The time is flying by this time at Koramba. We’ve been here for 3 weeks already and have slipped back into the routine of camp life very easily.

Chris is making good progress with converting the databases to web based programs and preparing them for installation on the cloud.
As usual he rides the roller coaster of emotions along the way.
One day everything is going well and he understands the steps to proceed and then the next day error messages appear that have him wanting to throw the computer out into the paddock, never to work on it again.

It’s only due to determination (or stubborness), and the fact that I’ll chain him to his desk, does he doggedly find the answers to the problems and fix them one at a time. When it gets too much for him he wanders off to find some manual labour to work out his frustrations.

Due to Chris’s “frustrations” we now have 2 new mulch heaps.

Fencing wire and star pickets collected from "Siberia" made a great Mulch compound.

Fencing wire and star pickets collected from “Siberia” made a great Mulch compound.

Chris raked up all the dead grass clippings from when the yard was slashed in March. It was too hard to mow through the cut grass still lying around and no new grass could grow underneath. To obtain the materials for this project it was off to “Siberia”, Chris’s favourite place on Koramba. His mind races with all sorts of ideas of things to put together from this treasure trove of discarded “stuff”.

The other pile in the mulch heap is the old plastic covered heap of mulch that had sat in the back yard for nearly a year. This has broken down really well and will go on the garden bed.

This is like a outdoor Bunnings store. Chris's favourite place.

This is like a outdoor Bunnings store. Chris’s favourite place.

The back yard getting slashed in March and in the other shot, the plastic mulch heap removed.

The back yard getting slashed in March and in the other shot, the plastic mulch heap removed.

We’ve asked Daryl, the Farm Manager, for a load of soil to top dress around the camp. The black soil tends to sink when it has dried out and a lot of the concrete paths are now exposed underneath. This project could take us 3 months as landscaping the camp is not a priority on the farm. But we’ve found if you’re willing to do the work they will get you what you need. Daryl has already stated that if we keep the pile of dirt dry it could be levelled by the boys on a rain day.

Rain days are no fun.
The boys don’t know if they are working or not so have to get up each morning at the same early time, have breakfast and pack their lunch and then sit and wait until they are sent word either in person or by Txt message as to wether they’re working or not. If there’s no work they are bored beyond belief. Not many have cars so when someone offers to drive the hour into Goondiwindi or Moree others will jump at the chance to go. When it does rain it could take up to a week of constant sunshine before the soil dries out enough for the boys to get back on the tractors.
Also while they’re not working they’re not getting paid, but they still have to pay rent and food.
No one likes “Wet Days” including me. Try cleaning with all this mud. It sticks to everything, floors, concrete, boots, laundry, showers, toilets. Yuk yuk yuk.

The rain hasn't stopped but very little water has reached our annex.

The rain hasn’t stopped but very little water has reached our annex.

On another note I now own my first pair of work boots.
They are very comfortable and the burrs don’t go through them. They’re also easy scrub clean. Chris also got a pair that had been left behind by someone (don’t know why they weren’t taken) I just cleaned them up and he’s happy.

Feel like a farm girl now. The best part, you don't have to accessories your clothes with your shoes.

Feel like a farm girl now. The best part, you don’t have to accessories your clothes with your shoes.

Last weekend we travelled back to Brisbane.
I needed to go to the doctor about the diabetic check, catch up with the kids and see Riley.
Riley has changed in the 3 weeks since seeing him last. His face is fatter and he now holds his hands flat not screwed up like a baby. He now sees something and easily reaches for it. We can see these things so much clearer than Lish and Ashley as they see him all the time. But one thing we noticed is he is still a little cutie.

We stayed with David and Lacey and as the weeks go past Lacey is slowly getting over the morning sickness. They sent us the first scan of the baby. It’s amazing what they can see these days. At 12 weeks the baby is as long as your thumb and it’s head is as big as your thumnail.

12 weeks old and as big as your thumb, amazing.

12 weeks old and as big as your thumb, amazing.

Remember how we got a satellite tv included when we bought the Aussie Wide but never had much luck with it. Everybody was an expert. We even paid for someone to show us what to do and it was fine  while they were there. We ended up ditching it because it was so much trouble. Well, because there is little or no TV reception here we thought we’d try again but with a different set system, one that the TV specialists recommend. So we picked up the dish we already had stored and took possesion of our new VAST system decoder and a new improved satellite finder.

Chris took down the aerial for the internet and attached it to the back of the van after extending it a few more feet, then we took all day to work out the satellite. First Chris had to visit Siberia again to get another pipe to attach the dish to as the one we had wasn’t tall enough to get it over the van.
A couple of phone calls to the bloke we bought it from, more changes, and by now the wind had picked up and we were thinking it wasn’t stable enough and that Chris would have to make another stand for the dish.
We were starting to think we had wasted our money again as nothing was happening.
Finally as night fell the wind died down and we tried it for the last time and “Hey Presto” it all came together, a clear signal!
We excitedly hooked up the TV thinking we were going to be able to watch NCIS but Nooo we had to register the card and of course the people we had to speak to closed at 4.30pm. Oh well there’s always tomorrow, I’ll have to watch the program on the internet.

The satellite works great now.

The satellite works great now.

I must say the next day after registering the Vast system it is running supebly well.
Even strong winds and howling rain do not interfere with the perfect picture. We now get every free to air channel in Australia (about 81 of them) crystal clear.
We feel this was a worthwhile purchase.

A lot of the workers have taken off to the Gold Coast and other places as the rain just keeps falling, making the date that work will once again commence further into the future. There are only 5 of the boys left on camp and we rarely see them. It sometimes feels like we’re the only ones here. Fortunately it’s dry and cosy in the Aussie Wide and the office is easy to work in so we’re getting a lot done.

Join the conversation